Our Purpose and Goals
The primary purposes of the Pioneers Division are to offer services to the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC); to support and make available benefits and services to its members; to provide a service to the professional community, both general and special education, by rendering time, effort, expertise, and leadership to activities which promote the education and welfare of exceptional children and youth; and to bring recognition to those who have been longstanding members of CEC and/or have provided leadership that has positively impacted the lives of exceptional children and youth.
As part of the focus for the Pioneers Division of CEC, the Board approved the following goals:
- Continue to provide leadership and advice to CEC and increase visibility within CEC as legacy leaders.
- Disseminate “The State of the Profession Survey”, developed by a joint workgroup of the Pioneer Division and CEC and as a 20 year follow-up to the Bright Futures Report on “The Conditions and Quality of Teaching”
- Continue our natural alignments with TED and CASE divisions, but consider commonalities with some of the smaller divisions,
- Work with CASE in mentoring special education directors, especially those with limited special education expertise
- Grow Pioneer membership through our representation of Leadership and Legacy
- Continue to be responsive to changes in CEC and to initiate recommendations to support the development and growth of CEC
- Continue to emphasize membership through leadership experience with CEC—Pioneer membership is open to those who have been presidents of units, divisions, subdivisions or CEC Board without regard to years of membership
- Send Pioneer information (and ribbons) to potential members either prior to conference or as their leadership terms are ending
- Assess relationship of mentoring initiative
- Initiate efforts to focus on novice teachers, which will build on current conversations with CEC and CASE in determining mentoring needs. Place an article in CASE newsletter to assist with recruiting beginning teachers.
- Continue additional professional services based on PD expertise
- Consensus was strong that legacy is important. Assisting with the 2022 CEC 100th anniversary is a priority, including our work with the archives which the Pioneer Division has spearheaded. These include minutes from the first CEC meeting and a plethora of original artifacts and documents. June Jordan initiated work on the archives and Diane Johnson has continued this work. We will identify additional members to expand the Archives committee.